Are you an International Student living in London? Here are six questions you should know

Living and studying in the UK is expensive. To overcome this challenge, many international students choose to work while studying in the UK. However, you cannot fund your studies solely by working part-time. 

Keep in mind that you should already have enough money to cover tuition fees and living expenses while studying without having to take on part-time work. Here, we have answered the most important questions that can help you find jobs as an international student in the UK.


1. During my time as an international student in the UK, what can I do?

You can work part-time in the UK while studying. There are many job offers and opportunities for international students in London. As an international student, you’ll work up to twenty (20) hours every week during your study period. 

An international student who is studying full-time at the bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD level may need to work a maximum of 20 hours a week. Furthermore, they’re allowed to work full-time during the summer and vacations for bachelor students.


2. How do I determine my eligibility to work in the UK?

It is important to confirm your eligibility for part-time work before searching for one. Two important factors determine whether you can work in the UK while studying: the guidelines set by your university and the guidelines set by public institutions run by the government. Before dealing with state officials, make sure your university doesn’t restrict you from working. 

You may be limited in your working hours by your university depending on your course, aside from government limitations. International students can easily find a part-time job in the UK, particularly in London. While some universities only allow you to work on campus, you still have many options.

3. What are the most common part-time jobs for international students in the UK?

  • Receptionist
  • Retail worker
  • Mystery shopper
  • Shelf packer
  • Waiter/barista/bartender
  • Student ambassador
  • Pizza Delivery Driver
  • Customer Assistant
  • Babysitter
  • Library assistant


4. What types of jobs am I not allowed to do?

While studying in the UK, you are not permitted to do certain jobs. If you hold an International Student Visa, you cannot engage in the following jobs (paid or unpaid):

  • Be a self-employed or working freelance
  • Initiate a commercial activity
  • Full-time permanent job
  • Professional sportsperson including sport coach
  • Work as an entertainer
  • Work as a dentist or a doctor in training, except you’re enrolled in a foundation program


5. What resources are available for job hunting?

In addition to searching for jobs on the official job websites, you should make use of various social networking websites to find a job. Make your qualifications, achievements and experience known by joining professional networks such as LinkedIn.

It can also be used to build a network of highly qualified professionals. It is best to apply to as many jobs as possible through your university’s website, recruitment websites. You can also attend career events and workshops.


6. How much can I earn?

It depends on the type of work you do, but many students in London earn around the National Minimum Wage (NMW) for part-time jobs. The National Minimum Wage is the minimum wage workers in the UK must earn per hour.

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

More To Explore